We are aware of the ISO14000 series of standards and are considering how to achieve them.
Meanwhile we consider sustainability to be concerned with our use of:
• finite energy sources for our personal transport.
• materials in the whole process of production, packing and delivery of products.
• Information and communication technologies.
• Energy resources for heating, lighting and other activities and facilities in our working environments.
• Use the Russell Press for print and finishing and they have achieved ISO14000 and supply FSC paper and card stock.
• Running down our existing stock of mixed media packaging, which appears to be more difficult to recycle at the consumer end of the life cycle.
• Replacing our stock of clear plastic bags for greetings cards with biodegradable ones.
• Seek and where possible purchase packaging that uses card or paper as opposed to mixed media, which are less easy to recycle.
• Re-use as much of the packaging material that we receive. (a consequence of which is that, at times, customers will receive scruffy packaging and material which is difficult to recycle.)
• Use a local community recycling service for IT equipment.
• Seek new premises which would either already offer low-carbon heating and lighting or enable the adoption of same.
If you can suggest other practical means to ensure there will be a decent planet for our children’s children to live on, please tell.